There is a lesson to be learnt here while winter gardening. If the sun shines – get outside and take full advantage because you don’t know how long it will last. We woke up to a lovely sunny morning and so I decided to do my Tuesday actual work stuff, which I got through quite quickly and then I pottered about the place doing bits and pieces inside until I thought “Right. Now I am ready to go outside and garden.”
What I didn’t realise is, while I was working away inside the weather was also busy – changing completely and I opened the door to go outside and was greeted with torrential rain – the kind with the big fat drops that only need four of them to saturate you. I shut the door again and had a rethink. I couldn’t do nothing – that would drive me crazy. So I grabbed the keys and made a dash to the car in a brief moment where the rain had seemed to ease enough for me to dodge the fat drops by going around then.
I headed off to the hardware store to look for things to make my “anti-mouse seed protector device” version 2. I went up and down every aisle examining anything that could remotely be used to bring the image in my head to life. I was looking for two things – functionality and affordability. Actually three things… easy to assemble – hard work at this point is undesirable. I am looking for a cheap quick fix to my mouse problem. This, of course, is where the problem lies with version 1.
I must have had a puzzled look on my face as a scoured the shelves for just the right thing as the sales assistants kept asking if I needed any help, to which I would reply “I’m just thinking outside the box. I’ll know what I need when I see it” They responded with that ‘OOOOKKKKK’ that people use when they think you are crazy!
After thoroughly examining the hardware area I decided I needed time to think and so I treated myself to a quick tour of the garden centre section. That was a bad idea. I came away from there with a tree. I didn’t intend to buy a tree, but it was a fruit tree so I was just buying stuff for the kids lunch boxes in a few years’ time! It was a blackboy peach and they are supposed to be a really amazing fruit and I could justify the purchase as it was half price. And as it was half price I could then justify spending the amount I had just saved on a Chilean Guava because it was there. It did say on the label that it made a great jam… how far can I stretch that lunch box theory?
Having deliberated on the raw materials for my “anti-mouse seed protector device” version 2, I whipped up and down the aisles and picked up some insect screen, which the nice lady assured me was made of fibreglass, some L brackets, some corner brackets (which I didn’t end up using – but there will be other projects) and some hacksaw blades. I had screws and nuts at home.
Once back at home the bodgery began again. I took the L brackets and hacksaw blades and screwed them together to form a box shape. The cutty part of the blade faced inward. I didn’t quite have enough blades so I snuck into the big shed and stole a couple Hubby the Un-Gardeners ones. I hope he won’t notice or won’t mind – whatever comes first.
Then I cut the insect screen to size and decided to attach it to the frame with my hot glue gun. This took a bit of trial and error getting it right, and if I was bothered about making it pretty then I would go for the “anti-mouse seed protector device” version 3. But pretty isn’t necessary – it just needs to work. I hope it does. I’ll put it to the test at the very next opportunity. Until then it just has to stop raining!
Come again soon – I reckon I am very close to winning this wee battle of the mice.
Sarah the Gardener : o )