It has been unseasonably warm and I found myself in a tee shirt – in the middle of winter! Mind you I was working pretty hard. Slightly panicked by the thought of July having almost passed us by in the blink of an eye, I seem to be looking at what is left on the list.
However I really should stop and reflect on how much I have actually done in a month that would normally be spent wrapped up warm inside thinking about gardening. This month I have been wrapped up warm outside actually doing it and I’ve done loads. Check out The List…
- Make turnip soup – DONE. I made soup and it was good!
- Line new bed with cardboard and fill with soil and plant onion overflow – DONE. In it are leeks and my Japanese spring onions – to be used in my kiwi version of a Spanish festival.
- Finish weeded pea bed, enrich soil and plant peas (keep an eye out for frost!) – DONE. All peas are planted and I’m still watching out for frost.
- Enrich onion and garlic bed and get ready for planting – NOT DONE… yet…. Soon though… very soon.
- Sort out raspberries – including set up support posts and irrigation system – DONE – kind of. The posts and irrigation have been relegated to Assembly August, where I will build stuff.
- Sort out strawberries – including sensible netting system – NOT DONE… yet…. Soon though… very soon.
- Re-pot the lavender into larger polybags – plan and prepare new bed beside deck for lavender. DONE. Well the re-potting bit and planning the new bed. Maybe a job for Assembly August.
- Build new greenhouse – Definitely a job for Assembly August. I’m really excited.
- Sow more fennel – Shame prevents me from telling you the truth.
- Buy more fruit trees and plant them – DONE.
- Prune and winter wash existing fruit trees – DONE – sort of. I’ve pruned but I haven’t washed. This will happen in the coming days.
- Prune soft fruit and enlarge their beds. The pruning is DONE, but extending the beds is a job for Assembly August.
- Mow orchard – DONE TWICE!
- Mow garden – DONE TWICE!
- Looff the luffas – I’ve been too busy… That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it.
- Clear out pepper bed – DONE. A frost came and killed them and I pulled them out – easy.
- Enrich asparagus beds – DONE. The unseasonably warm weather has given me an awesome reward for getting this job done on time.
- Check seed supplies and organise new ones if needed. – DONE – ISH. I’ve check the seeds and taken out the old ones. I just need to test the viability of the iffy ones and then order some more.
Oh my goodness – look at all I have done! 13 out of 18 tasks completed! Hooray for me! Of the five full tasks and five half tasks, four tasks should be done by the end of the month and the rest have been transferred across to Assembly August which should be fun.
Come again soon – the end of the list is in sight and I’m really excited!
Sarah the Gardener : o )