For the want of supplies.

The greenhouse project has ground to a halt, mostly because I have used all the ‘good’ bolts.  The ones left are either stripped or seized and now I have a dilemma.  I’m not sure what to do.  New bolts are very expensive; however they are cheaper than an entirely new greenhouse.  So I have cast aside my greenhouse while I ponder an effective solution.

Most of these are no good.

Most of these are no good.

So I ran my eye across the list to look for something else to do in the meantime.  Extending the soft fruit beds looked like a bit of fun, and I had previously bought some new two metre sides that match the other beds in order and symmetry.  Having said that my garden isn’t exactly a model of the perfect potager.  The beds have been laid out by eye and a lot of ‘she’ll be right!’  I like to think of it as rustic.

The soft fruits were in a bit of a state

The soft fruits were in a bit of a state

So I raced into the garden full of enthusiasm for an exciting new project and mowed all around.  In the mowing strip between the two red currant square beds, I mowed as low as I could go in some kind of final revenge for how difficult it has always been to mow there.

The old beds came off easy enough.

The old beds came off easy enough.

Then I popped off the old raised beds and pulled them apart and stole some pieces for the ends of the new and much improved new bed.  Once nailed together I got Hubby the Un-Gardener to help me lift it over the surviving red currant and secured it in place.

...  and in no time there was a shiny new bed!

… and in no time there was a shiny new bed!

I laid cardboard over the mowed strip, to destroy and remaining grass and weeded and removed the dead red currant.  I decided it would be a good idea to add compost to the bed, however I don’t have any.  This means a trip to the garden centre.  It also means this project is stalled as well.

Hmmm.....  there does seem to be quite a bit of spare space!

Hmmm….. there does seem to be quite a bit of spare space!

I popped the replacement red currant in the bed to visualise the finished project and I have to say it does look a little lonely.   A trip to the garden centre is on the cards for the very immediate future to get compost, and I may just wander over to the fruit tree section….  Just to look….

Come again soon – I can’t wait to finish this project and then start on the other three soft fruit beds.

Sarah the Gardener  : o )

Advertisements

5 Comments on “For the want of supplies.

  1. Hi Sarah,

    Mud is always running out of the right sized bolts during work on the Land Rover, no matter how many he buys ‘just in case’. Mind you we are lucky to have a local independent store that sells them loose, quite cheaply.

    The new bed looks great and very much in need of for more planting 😀

    Like

    • Hi Elaine. I think the bolts are specialist bolts made of aluminum and I have learnt a lot about metal to metal corrosion in the last couple of days and so it would seem that I need to bite the bullet and buy the expensive ones and just be grateful that I have the greenhouse in the first place!
      Cheers Sarah : o )

      Like

    • Hi Heidi. The garden has a rough symmetrical design to it, nothing higgledee pickledee but it evolved that way as I never set out to design the garden – it was never supposed to get this big.
      Cheers Sarah : o )

      Like

Please feel free to leave a comment, I love hearing from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: