After a morning doing mundane things like shoe shopping for kids, I threw myself down on the sofa, exhausted and found myself in a zone that was too comfortable. I had to make a conscious decision to get out there and do things or nothing would get done!
So I pulled on my gumboots and headed out into the garden. The logical project was sorting out the irrigation for the hanging baskets so it was what I set out to do. There was a brisk breeze and the cobwebs were blown from between my ears and any fuggyiness I was feeling on the sofa was soon gone.
I have a cunning plan with my hanging baskets, devised after trying to water them with a watering can and getting annoyed with having the water run down my arm, past my elbow and into my armpit. I have six hanging baskets on two sides of my house and the watering was a bit hit and miss as I didn’t enjoy the soggy situation. So my baskets would spend most of summer looking limp. Then I had an idea.
I grabbed a length of hose, some irrigation tubing and connectors and little sprinkler heads and the hose is run up from the tap, up beside the downpipe and into the gutter around above the hanging baskets. Then a length of irrigation tubing is attached to the hose above each basket and it comes down from the gutter, around the hanging bracket and the sprinkler end hovers just above the plants in the basket. The end of the hose has a stopper in it and all I need to do is once a day connect the hose to the tap, with a timer on it – set to about 10 minutes and all six baskets get a descent watering at the same time – the nappy in the bottom gets topped up with water to help the plants stay moist all day and I don’t need to get wet at all! Brilliant.
The thing is, I only ever use cheap hose for this project as it is what it is. But our strong sun perishes plastic for breakfast and every couple of years I need to change the hose or there are leaks spouting out over the guttering like a water gun aimed at unexpected passer-by’s. So today’s job was to reconnect the irrigation tube to new hose and get it to sit nicely in the gutter.
As I was working away I noticed the wind picking up – and I looked around and realised not only had it picked up – it was actually really bad. A quick check of the weather on the internet said it was 51km/h but I reckon it was more than that. It was a batten the hatches down kind on wind as a large pile of weeds I’d pulled a couple of days ago, but left where they lay, blew past and the Joeyosaurus yelled over the noise of the wind “look – tumbleweed!”
I looked over at the garden and saw that while it was being buffeted about the place – it seemed to be holding up. Then I heard a crack. The thick sturdy bamboo poles holding up the peas snapped at the base. First one pole and then another until they had all broken. The weight of the peas was too much for the poles in the wind. I grabbed every stick, pole and stake I could find and tried desperately to get it back up on its feet, but meanwhile the wind was whipping about the place making a mockery of my efforts. In the end, with the peas upright, but only just, I conceded defeat and came inside. I tried my hardest not to look at the damage as there was nothing I could do while it was going on. It would have to wait until tomorrow when I can assess the damage and make proper lasting repairs that can withstand strong winds, should they come again. That is provided they have gone away by tomorrow.
Gardening – while incredibly rewarding can also be incredibly heart breaking. It took a lot of inner strength not to cry over my bashed up peas. I’m sure they will be fine and bounce back. But I grew them from seed and nurtured them lovingly and I wasn’t able to protect them from a force outside my control.
Come again soon – I’ll be out there in damage control mode.
Sarah the Gardener : o )