Spring is due to start very soon and I am so excited, but there isn’t all that much for me to do. In my drive to clear all the beds over the winter, it has left me with not a lot to do. Experience has taught me not to get over enthusiastic with the seeds as they all have their special time to rise and shine. So I need to wait. But it feels odd and making me feel anxious. Normally at this time of year I am out there in the cold, up to my elbows in frenzied weeding!
I have tidy beds, and seed packets in the waiting, and so I wander around the garden with this weird sense of I should be doing something… Well if I am honest – there is a job or two that could be done. The shed needs cleaning out – something to do with a mouse and a marrow that didn’t store well. I will lay the blame for the chaos there, and not with my own ineptitude when it comes to storing things in their proper place. To hide my shame there won’t be any before photos of this mess.
Well I should really do the strawberries. I’ve done half but the ground is still too damp and it is harder than it could be. But I may just need to suck it up and get stuck in today as there is another round of heavy rain due and the window of strawberry prep time is quickly running out.
I took the protective netting off the garlic and onions. They are big enough that the cat won’t see it as a loo anymore and there will be no ‘weeding’ by unhelpful chickens. We conceded defeat in out chicken fence construction skills. The last patch job just didn’t cut it. Wrapping layers of plastic tape, with the words DANGER printed on it, around the top of the fence to create a visual barrier and a flapping noise didn’t stop the chickens from flying over the top so it would appear chickens can’t actually read warning signs. And besides, the hole in the bottom of the fence was much easier for them to just walk through. So we got in a professional and in half a day we had a perfect chicken proof fence.
So with my liberated garlic, I cast a proud eye over them, only to discover quite a few were missing, they hadn’t come up. I ummed and erred and decided to have a poke about hoping to see some about to break through the surface. But they were just still there as cloves, having made no attempt whatsoever to grow! It has been quite wet, but I would have expected them to have started to rot if that was the case. Torn by indecision – do I leave them there and hope for some action or cut my losses and plant more? Time was against me. It is almost too late to plant more garlic so I had to make up my mind. I decided it would be best to grow some in pots so if the slow pokes in the ground do decide to show their faces I can give away the new ones. And if they don’t I can slip the new ones into the ground and no one would ever know that I had a considerable garlic fail this season. Fingers crossed!
My peas were also a bit of a disaster. I blame it on the excessive rain – oh what a scraggly bunch of good for nothing legumes! I think I am going to cut my losses and rip them out. I want to sow more, but I remembered the problems last year with a sneaky late crop lingering too long in the home for new tomatoes. So I have prepared the way for the peas to go into their new summer home early. It’s looking flash!
I never know when to do my crop rotation. I haven’t moved my signs yet, but now I have things beginning to grow in beds with the wrong labels – proclaiming the crops of the previous season. But then in other places I have the crops of the previous season still there and the label is, for the moment, correct. We are eating carrots as fast as we can! Then there are the beds with the old and the new in there! I am in a state of flux between the seasons.
Come again soon – the season is so close, just waiting for the starter’s gun!
Sarah the Gardener : o )