I knew it would be a big job, that’s why I’d been putting it off. I started half heartedly a week ago, just sorting the clutter that had built up on the benches and trying to find homes elsewhere for it. That is one of the reasons I pickled the shallots the other day as they were still in the dome from the summer and needed doing and it seemed like a much better idea than sorting clutter. But I had to come back to the dome eventually, I need to sow seeds and there was nowhere to do it. Not only that there was nowhere that had been sanitised to a new seedling standard and if I left it too much longer it would be too late.
One of the biggest clutter points in the dome was that last season I didn’t have a tool shed and a lot of the tools had been stored in there. I’ve never had full use of it as a single purpose greenhouse. Now I have a shed, which is in desperate need of a clean out, although not with the same urgency as the dome but all the tools and non-propagation items have been unceremoniously sent there.
Then all the old pots and trays were pulled out – they have been stacked but not cleaned. I think I’ll need to clean as I go and make a note to myself to do better next autumn. Once I cleared it all out there was a lot of dirt and spiderwebs. I didn’t evict the spiders as they are great pest control, but I reigned in their webs so they wouldn’t block the light coming through the glass. It wouldn’t have happened, but it was a good reason sweep them all away.
I donned a mask and swept up all the dirt of the shelves and the floor. I wasn’t about to give myself a case of legionnaires disease! The next bit was fun, I got the hose and blasted all the stubborn dirt out of every corner. It hadn’t been that clean since before the shelves went up. All the shelves got a wipe down with disinfectant to take care of any lingering disease from last season. While I was doing that I noticed the wood was looking quite dry, so I gave the shelves a generous coat of linseed oil to help extend the life of the wood. It smells really lovely in there.
Then it came time to start putting things back in. I did have my potting station right at the end of the shelves by the door, but I decided to move it further round so I had somewhere on the left to put the seedlings that need attention and then all of the right is for the rest of the seedlings that have been taken care of or don’t need it yet. It should be like a well-oiled machine once I get going.
Then the existing seedlings that are in desperate need of new homes in the soil went back in. Planting them out is a job for another day, but I think I know exactly where I’ll put them. I was finally able to stand back and call the job done! It is such a weight off my shoulders. Now I can sow the peas, and a few other seeds, do a bit more computer work and I think we’ll be able to call this week a success.
Come again soon – progress is being made.
Sarah the Gardener : o)