It has been a long week with a lot going on. When we relocated our house back in April 2018 we made a few unconventional decisions. We decided if a bathroom or a kitchen needed renovating you would find the money to do it eventually, but the outside of the house is the bit that normally gets what money is left at the end of the renovation. So, we ended up throwing most of our budget on things outside – for me it was the vegetable garden and the budget blowing geodesic biodome and for Hubby the Un-Gardener it was his dream entertaining area. We have loved every moment of what we have created.
However, in the house it really does still look like a home in desperate need of a reno. Finally, we managed to get together enough money to make a start on the inside and the bathroom was the first room to be done and it was an easy choice. When the house was being put back together our fabulous builder and our plumber both said they were uncomfortable putting the old shower back in as it could leak and were encouraging us to put in a cheap temporary one. But I know us and if we put in a cheap temporary shower I would still be using a cheap temporary shower in 20 years’ time! So, I have spent the last 2 years worried about the bathroom floor rotting through.
The bathroom reno started this week and I needn’t have worried because the floor was fine, thanks to thick layers of silicon holding the shower in place. Although I’m not sure it would have stayed that way forever. It isn’t finished yet and I’ll show you when its done, but with all the decisions that needed making and the exciting distraction of it all, I didn’t get as much gardening done as I would have liked.
But I did get some things done. This week was the second of the fortnightly feeding of the garden with a liquid feed and I could tell the plants had responded well to the previous one so that was encouraging. For some of the more vulnerable, weak, or newly relocated plants I added some liquid seaweed tonic to the mix to help them get over the stress of whatever they have going on and encourage strong root growth.
The sector system is such a dream, I am so pleased I found an easy way to manage such a large garden because it doesn’t take long to whip through it, weeding, feeding, and tending. And it is very forgiving if you miss a day.
There is still a lot to be done. The tomatoes are now at the stage where they need to be transplanted and so do a load of other things. I sowed my seeds this year with a heavy hand as my seeds are getting a little old. I think next season I may need to replace most of them, but I should probably pick up some broccoli seeds as they haven’t shown their face after several sowings.
I also need to plan and sow my flower seeds – this is urgent. I’ll update you on this before the end of next week. And I need to continue preparing the beds for their new occupants, we’re mostly there – Hubby the Un-Gardener and the Teen Lads have been doing the digging. I should have more free time in the weeks to come because tonight is the start of daylight savings. I would normally suggest ‘don’t forget to change your clocks’ but they all seem to do it automatically these days – except the one in the car – but it will be right again in the autumn and it is easily enough to remember it is an hour out!
Come again soon – hopefully more progress will be made next week.
Sarah the Gardener : o)